1. Know the things that goes in your tank. You can definitely increase the lifespan of your septic tank by means of being cognizant regarding the various kinds of things you place in it. Make sure not to place any cigarette ends, wet tissues, diapers, napkins, coffee grounds, fats, cooking oil and other non-biodegradable substances in the septic tank. These non-biodegradable substances are capable of causing blockage in the septic tank which would require you to have an expensive repair job.
2. Maintain the drain field. The drain field is actually the main piece of your septic tank which assists in separation the solid wastes from the liquid wastes. Here are a couple of tips that can help you to maintain your drain field. Be sure not to park your car or vehicle on the drain field. The trees must be planted at a safe distance from the place in order to keep the roots from growing in the drain field. In addition, the rainwater drainage systems such as gutters and sump pumps be kept away from the drain field.
3. Assess the septic tank every now and then. Regular inspection as well as proper maintenance of the septic tank by an expert will increase normal functioning of the septic tank.
4. Take advantage of pumping services. It is important that you pumped out your septic tank at least twice a year so as to ensure that all solid wastes are properly broken down. Pumping the septic tank on a regular basis will not only improve its life, but will also prevent future system failure.
5. Control the utilization of household chemicals. Keep in mind that too much use of household chemicals such as drain cleaner, bleach and detergent to mention a few can lead the septic tank to malfunction. These household chemicals have the capability to prevent the bacteria inside the tank to breakdown the waste in it.
6. Ask assistance from the experts. With regards to the maintenance and cleaning of the septic tank, you must always depend on the assistance of the experts. The septic tank service provider will go to your house and systematically evaluate your septic tank for presence of damages as well as leakages. They will evaluate the sludge layers and the scum so as to find out the real source of the problem. And even though you just find out just a very small problem with your septic tank, it is always highly recommended that you call a professional for any assistance.